lunes, mayo 28, 2007

Fallen Angel

This is such an special statue.
As I've read it's the only one in the world dedicated to the Fallen Angel, Lucifer. It was built in 1877 and then cast in bronze for the Exposition Universelle of Paris (1878). It's located in Retiro Park since 1885.
Apart of religious controversity and double meanings, I really like it. It's powerful indeed. Dramatic. Different. What do you think?

Esta es una estatua un tanto especial.
Según he leído, es la única estatua que hay en el mundo dedicada al Ángel Caído, Lucifer. Fue construída en 1877 y bañada en bronce para la Expo de Paris en 1878. Puedes encontrarla en el Retiro desde 1885.
Aparte de toda controversia religiosa y dobles sentidos, me encanta. Es dramática. Impresionante. Diferente. ¿Qué opinais?

Listening to La Mamma Morta Maria Callas (from Philadelphia soundtrack)

Etiquetas: , ,

17 people want to say about...

At 28/5/07 21:51, Blogger Chris said...

I agree - very dramatic, very powerful. Not a pretty statue, but one that's very hard not to look at.

 
At 28/5/07 22:03, Blogger Monica said...

You are right, apart from the religious aspect of it, it´s a beautiful and powerful statue.

I also like the equestrian statue and the book fair posts!

 
At 28/5/07 22:29, Blogger Dsole said...

thank you girls! I'm discovering a lot of little details of Madrid thanks to this blog... It's funny uh? There is a lot of interesting statues everywhere...

 
At 29/5/07 00:41, Blogger isa said...

Seeing the snake wrapped around his leg will give me nightmares...
Very dramatic!

 
At 29/5/07 00:51, Blogger Kate said...

I wonder if the snake has a relationship to the sins of Eve? A fallen angel is indeed one to mourn and to depict forcefully as in this statue. Great find!

 
At 29/5/07 01:01, Blogger Annie said...

I've always felt a little sorry for the "fallen angel", and I've also always thought he needs to get beyond his anger and into forgiveness. He needs to become Christlike.

On to other subjects, I too think it would be good to live in a world where fighting and military actions were unnecessary or forbidden. What would it take to get to such a world!

 
At 29/5/07 01:47, Blogger Ming the Merciless said...

Yes, it is very dramatic. And very interesting. I'm surprised it survived this long. I would have thought some religious groups would have had it destroyed by now.

 
At 29/5/07 02:32, Blogger Fénix - Bostonscapes said...

Como tú has dicho, exactamente. También comparto lo que dices acerca de estar descubriendo cosas de tu ciudad gracias al blog, a mi me pasa lo mismo.

 
At 29/5/07 05:35, Blogger ~tanty~ said...

Yes, it's powerful. Very creative, interesting statue!

 
At 29/5/07 06:26, Blogger Olivier said...

cette statue est magnifique.


this statue is splendid.

 
At 29/5/07 08:23, Blogger EMNM said...

No es el único ángel caído, mira este:
http://esmadridnomadriz.blogspot.com/2007/03/madrid-y-los-demonios.html

¿sabes algo de él?

 
At 29/5/07 09:25, Blogger Dsole said...

increíble! está completamente boca abajo... me apunto la dirección, a ver si paso por ahi algún día.. qué cosa más curiosa ¿no?

I don't know Kate, but I'm sure there is a lot of symbolism behind it.

Annie, it would be great indeed :) I know.

Ming, I agree with you. Spain has been a place with a huge religious conscience, and it was a polemic statue, but I haven't read about any vandalism.

Thank you all!

 
At 29/5/07 09:46, Blogger Ioanna said...

Just incredible dsole. Fantastic, dramatic, fuerte.

 
At 29/5/07 10:50, Blogger Mandi said...

Very interesting! And I'm surprised that the Church (or Churches) didn't destroy it.

 
At 29/5/07 22:45, Blogger Carlos Lorenzo said...

Muy bien el ángulo. Recuerdo que me costo buscar la forma de que no me saliera a contaluz y se viera bien la cara. La pondré en el Flickr. Me pareció fantástica.

 
At 9/6/07 19:53, Anonymous Anónimo said...

Dazzling statue. I made a note of it and will sure visit it next time I'm in Madrid.

 
At 10/8/12 22:55, Anonymous Sean said...

great photo. This statue is a very facinating and sight to see. The artist Ramon Belver was thinking of Paradise Lost when he created it.

 

Publicar un comentario

<< Home