lunes, mayo 14, 2007

Aesculus hippocastanum

The Common Horse-chestnut is a large deciduous tree, native to a small area in the mountains of the Balkans in southeast Europe, but it is widely cultivated throughout the temperate world. (see wikipedia info)
I found it at the campus in its blooming and I think it's gorgeous! Do you have a favourite tree?

El Castaño de Indias (o falso castaño) es un árbol enorme y leñoso, proviene de la zona de los Balcanes pero se cultiva (de forma ornamental) en climas templados.
Encontré este impresionante ejemplar en el campus y tuve que sacarle una foto.
¿Algún árbol preferido?

Listening to Alanis Morissette Hand in my pocket

20 people want to say about...

At 14/5/07 11:36, Anonymous Anónimo said...

Yes, indeed, this is a beautiful tree. And, at first and until I read your narrative, I just assumed it was a "Wild Cherry" tree as the blossoms are almost identical, except the wild cherry blossoms are about as big around as your finger. These appear much larger than that. I just checked my wild cherry tree yesterday and the thousands of immature green cherries on it have already been picked off by the birds who must had had a feast on them. So, I took old panty hose, cut the toe portion out and slipped two of those over the only two branches I could find with cherries left on. So tied with red yarn, I hope the birds will give me a break and leave these few mature as I wanted to taste them.

I like your photograph of this tree and your narative of it too. Thanks too for your visits to my blog and for your generous comments there.

 
At 14/5/07 13:13, Blogger Kate said...

It is both enormous and beautiful. Favorite tree? I think I like them all, especially those with blossoms of various shades. In autumn I love the red maples because of the vivid colours. Have a good week!!

 
At 14/5/07 13:43, Blogger lv2scpbk said...

That is a very large tree. I really like white birch trees.

 
At 14/5/07 13:45, Blogger lv2scpbk said...

I thought of another one I really like, the weeping willow tree. I like alot of them though.

 
At 14/5/07 14:04, Blogger EMNM said...

Yo tengo varios preferidos, la encina, el alcornoque y uno de los que más, el ginko un precioso fósil viviente.

 
At 14/5/07 14:54, Blogger Dsole said...

el ginko!! ginko biloba, me encanta... tengo varias hojas que robé del botánico... jiji

Weeping willow tree (o sauce llorón) a very poetic tree.

Thank you guys for dropping by

 
At 14/5/07 14:54, Blogger Lavenderlady said...

We have them here too! I think the old ones like this are magestic. My favorite tree is the flowering cherry.

 
At 14/5/07 15:40, Blogger magiceye said...

gorgeous indeed! have put a few pictures of summer specials of trees in full bloom on my site ... do check them out!

 
At 14/5/07 16:35, Blogger Olivier said...

il est majestueux cet arbre. vraiment tres beau et impressionnant

it is majestic this tree. really very beautiful and impressive

 
At 14/5/07 17:22, Blogger Annie said...

It's a marvelous addition to the landscape and to the environment and to the world. Any tree is a wonder as far as I'm concerned. My favorite tree is too hard a concept for me since I appreciate them, each and every one.

 
At 14/5/07 17:54, Blogger Carlos Lorenzo said...

This chestnut looks great. Especially because of the place where it is. Students are lucky to have such beautiful trees on campus.

 
At 14/5/07 18:50, Blogger Fénix - Bostonscapes said...

Un espécimen formidable. Qué belleza. Mis árboles favoritos son el ombú y el jacarandá.

 
At 14/5/07 22:28, Blogger angela said...

I love horse chestnuts too: the tree is glorious, so are the flowers and we used to play games with the conkers, the fruit..
Angela

 
At 15/5/07 04:47, Blogger Sally said...

I'm another fan of horse chestnuts, but love so many trees I couldn't pick a davourite. Jacarandas from S America, angophoras from Australia, Scandinavian birches....

Your photo made me think of English parkland or of the landscaped garden tradition.

 
At 15/5/07 07:40, Blogger photowannabe said...

I love the flowering trees. this is so large and lovely. I would enjoy just sitting under it.

 
At 15/5/07 09:16, Blogger alice said...

These one is really beautiful and impressive! I like very much trees. My grandfather who was a small farmer, spent all his life planting trees. He could not stand to see them cut down, he was used to say: "They need all a life to grow, five minutes are enough to kill them".

 
At 15/5/07 12:08, Blogger Dsole said...

Annie, you're totally right, each tree adds an special effect to landscapes..

Carlos, this campus is great, such a huge open space!

Fénix, no conozco esos árboles... tendré que curiosear... ;)

Angela, me too!

Sally I like your comment! you're right

Alice, that's true. it's sad when a tree is cut down after all the time it had needed to grow...

Thank you all! :)

 
At 15/5/07 12:48, Anonymous Anónimo said...

I love horse chestnuts, but we have very few in Michigan. I was in Paris a year ago in horse chestnut season, and it was spectacular! But the pollen was terrible, and everyone on the street was rubbing their eyes.

 
At 15/5/07 13:12, Blogger Seda said...

We have the same trees in Istanbul. Also with the pink flowers on it...Such amazing tree.

 
At 15/5/07 19:23, Blogger Ming the Merciless said...

Very impressive tree! It looks so lush and healthy.

My favorite tree is a dwarf Japanese maple. They are short and have red leaves, and are perfect for a city garden.

 

Publicar un comentario

<< Home